This is part of an ongoing series on the Cornerstone Confirmation Curriculum we are developing at First Trinity Lutheran Church. (Main Confirmation Page)
The first article of the Apostle’s Creed focuses on God the Father, the creator and sustainer of all life.
The Triune God
Read Matthew 28:19
- Circle: Father, Son, Holy Spirit
- Margin: Write “3 in 1” and circle it.
One of the mysteries of God is that He is one God, yet there are three persons (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). All three are God completely, and yet there are not three Gods, but one. By examining each “person” of the Trinity, we can more clearly and completely understand who God is and how He interacts with His people.
God the Father
Read Job 38:1-7
- Underline: Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
- Margin: God created the earth
Read Hebrews 11:3
- Underline: By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God
- Margin: Creation
Read Genesis 1:26-27
- Underline: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
- Margin: God made humans.
Read Psalm 139:13
- Underline: you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
- Margin: God created me.
God the Father is the creator of everything. He actively shaped and formed the earth, not though evolution, but by speaking it into existence. Not only did he create the earth and all living things, but He specifically created humans to be in relationship with Him and one another.
However, God is not a “watchmaker.” He didn’t create the world, “wind it up”, and let it run on its own. God continues to provide for His creation. He sends rain and sunshine, so crops can be grown. He provides jobs and income so we can provide for our families. He protects us from harm and danger. He has an ongoing relationship with us, caring for all our needs.