We had our 2nd rooted yesterday during the final quarter of the Bills game. I was impressed with how little grumbling there was about that, but maybe it had something to do with the fact that we couldn’t watch most of the game because of power outages anyway.
It was a great time together with the youth. Here are a few things that I liked about this session that were improvements over the first:
- We’re getting used to the style/format of the study. Students seemed more comfortable this time than last, when they weren’t sure what to expect.
- There seemed to be more sharing this time, and not just shallow, surface-level answers. I hope to see this go even deeper as we get into this more.
- Students stopped me at least twice from moving on because they hadn’t shared everything they wanted to from the previous question.
- We had an especially good discussion on giving. The question asked us to look at when churches might have “greedy” motives instead of pure ones. We talked about giving as a spiritual indicator, how much we should give and whether God uses our giving even when it comes from wrong motivation.
- There was also an interesting diversion where we brought out a point from the Love Out Loud theme from Workcamp. It’s still fresh in their minds and hearts, which is a joy to see. I asked them to consider Piqua, Ohio as one of their Spiritual Memorials. I challenged them to return to Piqua in 5 or 10 years and drive around the community and remember what God did in their lives there.