Filled up for the first time since June 23. Vacation and Workcamp really cut down on my summer driving, which is nice considering the prices for gas. I ended up going 354.1 miles on 9.478 gallons of gas. That’s a 37.36 MPG average. Which means I’ve made my first goal already and only need to squeeze 3 MPGs out to meet my 40 MPG goal.
I suspect the next 3 MPGs will be significantly harder to achieve than the 10 I picked up since the first experiment. Up next:
- Timing the light out of the parking lot at church. 4 out of 5 times, I start my car, pull into the street and have to wait for the light to change. I usually turn the car off there since it’s a long light, but I think I can improve it so I only have to do one startup.
- Time exits from stores/shops to Niagara Falls Blvd and other busy roads. I turned the car on this morning after getting gas and had to wait 20-25 seconds to get out of the station.
- More pull-through parking at stores to avoid the reverse/stop/forward motion.
- Replace spark plugs? I’m told this could help my mileage and I don’t remember when it was done last.
- Empty the trunk. I keep lots of stuff in my trunk for no other reason than the old “I might need that someday while I’m out” excuse.
I also sunk to a new low yesterday. I was coasting into my driveway as usual and didn’t have quite enough momentum to get into the garage. I was 3/4 of the way in and couldn’t bring myself to restart the car. So I pulled a Fred Flintstone for the last 3 feet.